Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Areas of Social Need

The three areas of need that I am particularly interested in are:

1. Sex education and [prevention of] teen pregnancy. Teen pregnancy is a growing issue in North America and it just adds to the numerous unwanted babies that are filling up adoption agencies or throwing young women into a life of motherhood, denying them education, and many babies end up being abused or neglected by their teen parent(s). I feel strongly that through sex education of safe sex, not abstinence and lifting taboos on abortion would greatly reduce the number of teen pregnancy or unplanned pregnancy.

2. I am an animal lover and would also like to look into issues of animal abuse and neglect and/or over flowing pounds. I don't know much about this issue and what it is that I can help with, but I would like to learn from and work with animal shelters, pounds, or rescue teams to benefit abused animals in some way.

3. I'm also interested in issues with the elderly, and the problems they face in living independently instead of in retirement homes. Personally, both sets of my grandparents live independently and like it to stay that way, so I would like to help create or improve systems that aid the elderly that allows them to live outside of a home.

1 comment:

  1. you might find this interesting:

    http://www.salon.com/news/abortion/index.html?story=/mwt/broadsheet/2010/04/28/oklahoma_abortion

    ReplyDelete